Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Buttermilk Pancakes

Don't even start making these pancakes or you will gain 10 pounds! Seriously, I have to restrain myself. Once I started making these along with homemade buttermilk syrup or homemade strawberry freezer jam. . . forget about it! (That was with a jersey accent)
David thinks I am crazy because my favorite food is pancakes. I can't explain it.

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
blend with wisp then add:
2 cups buttermilk
blend then add the rest:
1 1/2 cups flour (I always use 3/4 white and 3/4 wheat)
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 salt
I blend by hand with a wisp just because I am too lazy to get out my mixer. It works great and makes it easy and quick.

One time I made it with all white flour and max said I made it wrong and wouldn't eat it. Funny because my kids sometimes complain I only buy wheat bread, but they never noticed that was what made the pancakes soo good.
Good Luck. I think Cathy posted the syrup earlier, but here it is so you don't have to look it up:

BUTTERMILK SYRUP
(We call it carmel syrup)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sugar
bring to a boil
add 1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla or mapleine
(I like mapleine, it gives it a stronger flavor)

Make sure you make this in a large enough pot because when you add the soda it will foam up to the top. I have made several messes on my stove thinking I would pull it off the heat in time.
Hint: I always bake with real butter. I know it costs a little more, but I can't go back to margarine now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhh i want to go home. What the crap!

Midge said...

I think I can contribute as least 5 of my extra pounds to this evil combination. If I have buttermilk in my fridge it ends up as your pancakes and syrup, darn you.